Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A while back (last December) I was searching for a local knitting group to join and my search lead me to the MeetUp.com site. There was a group called Pittsfield Knitter's that had been dormant for some time and was in need of an organizer. I figured, "Hey, what the heck?!" Well I sat, knitting alone, for two months until I decided to add the "group" to our local newspapers community calendar. That next meeting there were 8 lovely women who showed up to knit a few rows, drink some coffee, and chat. The meeting after that there were 20 women...now 6 months after I listed the group in the community calendar we are up to 40+ knitters and still growing! We've gone from meeting once a month to meeting every week.



I couldn't organize Berkshire County Knitters with out the help of Jess of JessaLu Knits who has created a web site for us and remembers everything I forget. She also puts together these great little starter kits for people who see us knitting and want to learn. We've taught about 4 people already. Including 2 men!



As you can see every man needs a knitting tool box! (I guess baskets and tote bags are not an option for the manly knitter!) I have to say that I am a firm supporter of knitting in public and believe that doing so reminds passers by that not only can you make things with your hands but that socializing is a good thing. American culture is one of isolation and isolation disenfranchises the power of grassroots exchange of ideas. Not to mention that we have all become fast friends and sources of inspiration for one another. Now that's a good thing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow that turn-out is fantastic! I love the idea of a knitting toolbox. Too cute.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy whack of knitters, batman! Sorry I coudln't make it this week :o( See you soon!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home