Thursday, August 25, 2005

With our house filled to the brim with visitors I thought I'd post a quick picture of a bag I wove on a primitive loom some time ago.

The warp is regular jute from the hardware store and the weft is Lamb's Pride (my favorite to weave with). This is the technique used by Eastern Woodland Indians long ago and I figured it out with the help of a friend by sitting for a very long time in the Museum of Natural History in NYC studying samples they had on display. There are also some brief refrences to this style of weaving in a few books I have come across but most books focus on Navajo looms.

Here is a blurry close up but a close up none the less. It has been a while since I have woven anything but I look forward to picking it up again. It is very time consuming but a definate form of dynamic meditation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love it!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home